WRC is not only home to several orangutans but also an array of Indonesian wildlife that have been rescued from the illegal wildlife trade: sun bears, eagles, gibbons, monkeys, parrots, crocodiles, and turtles. When you intern with WRC, you will be able to work closely with these animals alongside the animal keepers, veterinarians, and office staff. It is an excellent opportunity to dive right in and experience, firsthand, all that goes into running an animal rescue center.
Our center is run by just a few dedicated staff, so we welcome volunteers and interns to help and bring new ideas. Internship program descriptions are a guideline, so we are flexible and can shift your duties according to your specific skill set and goals. With programs focusing on animal welfare, veterinary work, education, the environment, or marketing and communications, you can be sure that your time here will equip you with the skills and knowledge for a career in conservation.
To apply, you must be at least 18 years old with 6 months to 1 year of relevant conservation work experience, but those with experience in other related areas are encouraged to apply. Internationals as well as locals are eligible. Fluency in English is a requirement for all internships, and Bahasa Indonesia ability is a major asset. Please refer to the individual internship programs for further requirements and job details. A medical check and proof of vaccinations will be required prior to your stay. Interns will be mentored by our on site wildlife veterinarian.
Upon completion of the program, interns are required to present their work and write a report on their time here. A certificate will be given upon request.
WRC Jogja depends on donations and program fees; therefore, we are unable to reimburse travel and accommodation costs. Your contribution goes directly toward covering the cost of your stay here. Please be advised that for some projects, materials may not be available and we are unable to provide them, so you are strongly encouraged to self-provide some materials to support and implement your projects. We will do our best to support your plans, but the upkeep of the center and animals comes first.
What is included
- Accommodation – twin room with private balcony, en-suite bathroom, and communal living area (you may be required to share a room with another person of the same sex based on availability)
- 3 meals and 1 snack per day
- Coffee, tea, and drinking water – we encourage you to bring your own refillable bottle
- Gloves, face mask, and rubber boots for work in the animal area – feel free to bring your own if you’d like
- Towel, bedding, and laundry facilities
What is not included
- Transportation to and from WRC Jogja – can be arranged at additional cost
- Transportation and excursions during free time
- Health and travel insurance
- Vaccinations and medical checks